When someone dies, the task of sorting out their money, property and assets passes to an executor, as named in the Will.

If they die without naming an executor, without a valid Will or the executor is either unwilling or unable to do the job, it passes to family members in a specific order.The person that takes up that job is known as an administrator.

If you find yourself responsible for winding up someone's estate you'll probably need to get a Grant of Representation first.

This document affords you the legal right required before you can take control of the estate as the personal representative and set about complying with the Will or Intestacy rules.

A Grant of Representation isn't usually required if the estate passes to the surviving spouse or civil partner and it was held in joint names or where the estate doesn't include land, property or shares.

If you are named an executor in the Will you apply for a Grant of Probate. If you are an administrator you must apply for Letters of Administration which gives you the same rights as an executor.

Applying for a Grant of Representation can take several weeks, but it's essential.

You can instruct a professional to help you with this process as it can seem quite daunting.



Share This Story

Tagged in

You might also like

posted on - 18 January 2018
A Lasting Power of Attorney is a legal document which gives another person, known as an attorney, the authority to make certain decisions for you in the event of you losing capacity.These decisions...
posted on - 22 October 2017
Choosing an executor, the person or institution you put in charge of administering your estate and carrying out your final wishes is one of the most important decisions you will make when preparing a...
posted on - 16 September 2017
The clients were referred to me by their financial advisor as they were concerned about their deterioating health following a recent health scare. They wanted to be sure that their savings and...

Why Choose
David Gee Wills and Probate

Over 30 Years experience advising clients

Having worked in the financial services business for over 30 years my wealth of knowledge will help you decide which is the most beneficial way to proceed with your Wills,Lasting Power of Attorney and Probate.

I am a member of the Society of Will Writers which means all clients have the reassurance that all business is conducted under a strict code of conduct. 

Professional and Personal Service

I pride myself on providing a professional and personal service. All documents will be drafted by me personally.

I am supported by a team who are always on hand to take your calls and enquiries.

Our aim is to take you through the process of making a Will, Lasting Power of Attorney or Probate as easy as possible.

Specialist Trust Knowledge

I offer advice on a wide range of solutions from basic to more complicated Wills incorporating trusts to protect your needs.

My experience in Estate and Trust planning enables me to explain this complicated financial subject in an easy to understand way.

Contact David

This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.
Contact Me :
01933 426199